News of some of the properties involved in Norwalk Preservation Trust’s actions, past and present, with their current status: Lost, Threatened, Saved, or Restored.
The John P. Beatty and Brothers hat factory (1912) at 3 Quincy Street in Norwalk produced straw hats from 1912 until 1925. Thought to have been preserved in 2015, this beautiful and historic building was demolished in 2022.
Macedonia Church rescued one of Norwalk’s finest architectural landmarks when it purchased the former First United Methodist Church located at 39 West Avenue.
The 1802 Fodor Farm homestead at 328 Flax Hill Road is now home to the Norwalk Preservation Trust, the Norwalk Land Trust, and the Norwalk Tree Alliance, among others.
In February 2008, a Connecticut State Superior Court judge granted a temporary injunction halting the proposed demolition, on the grounds that “prudent and feasible alternatives” to demolition had been shown.
The Norwalk Company factory (1875) at 20 North Water Street stood as the eastern gateway to the South Norwalk district for more than a hundred years. It was one of the buildings that defined the area’s 19th and early 20th century industrial and commercial character.
In 2005, Norwalk Preservation Trust worked with the developer, the Rowayton Historical Society, the Rowayton Community Association, and the Norwalk Planning and Zoning Office to return the exterior of this splendid summer Italianate hotel in the heart of Rowayton to its original 19th-century glory.
The Margaret Hoyt Smith House (1870) was demolished at the end of June 2006. The house was the residence of the first woman architect in Norwalk, designer of many significant structures throughout the state.
This 1908 early Colonial Revival home is in great condition with beautiful interiors and is the last of its type in Norwalk. Originally slated for demolition to make way for additional surface parking for Norwalk Hospital,
Norwalk Preservation Trust
P.O. Box 874
Norwalk, CT 06852