Inventories

Norwalk Historic Resource Inventory

Update: The Norwalk Preservation Trust is working with the State of Connecticut and the City of Norwalk to obtain grants to support a full survey of all the significant structures in Norwalk. Funding for the first phase of this exciting new project is now in place, with work expected to begin in May 2010. See News for more information.

The Norwalk Historic Resource Inventory is a representative survey of over 600 historic buildings, compiled in 1976–1978 for the Norwalk Redevelopment Agency with a grant from the State of Connecticut. Due to limitations of time and money, it does not list every building in Norwalk that would now be considered to be historically significant. Moreover, it needs to be updated since some of the criteria for inclusion have changed, parts of the city were not included, and some of the buildings listed in it have been demolished or altered.

Criteria for inclusion in the original Norwalk Historic Resource Inventory required that the building or structure:

  • Make a significant contribution to the visual, architectural, or historic value of the surrounding area or neighborhood.
  • Is in a condition that makes restoration or preservation architecturally feasible.
  • Is an asset in terms of visual, cultural, or educational value to the area or the community.
  • The interest of the public is served by the preservation or restoration of the building.

Silvermine

The following list of the Silvermine neighborhood is a good example of the kind of information provided in the 1978 inventory:

  • 187 Perry Avenue - Former Mill/Blacksmith - 1800
  • 7 James Street - Grain Mill - 1859
  • 6 James Street - Mill Owners’ House - 1748
  • Mill Pond at 6 & 7 James Street - Dam
  • 100 Silvermine - House well preserved, on Mill Pond - 1790
  • 142 North Seir Hill Road - Farmhouse w/ 1850 barn - 1770
  • 143 North Seir Hill Road - Hansen’s Nursery original greenhouses - 1928
  • 144 North Seir Hill Road - Apple barn for old orchard, very old & significant trees - 1890
  • 148 North Seir Hill Road - Artists’ house & studio (cartoonist Germain Greer Glidden and daughter, documentary filmmaker Christine Glidden), farmhouse to long-time apple orchard - 1901
    • Because of its high location and unobstructed view of downtown Norwalk, this apple orchard is quite likely the one that contained the apple tree that Phoebe Comstock and the slave she would later inherit from her aunt, Onesimus Brown, sat in to view the burning of Norwalk by General Tryon in July 1779.
  • 157 North Seir Hill Road - House, Hearth with Beehive Oven - c. 1750
  • 14 Cliffview - Mediterranean Revival, Early Suburban - 1900
  • 10 Riverview - Sears Roebuck Kit House - 1929
  • 5 Yew Street - Shingle Style - 1901
  • 17 Yew Street - Justin Gruelle (muralist & brother of Johnny, Raggedy Anne author) - 1904
  • 9 Oakwood Court - associated with creator of Theater in the Woods (Greek Evans) - 1938
  • Grist Mill Bridge (partly buried under Route 7 extension) - 1904
  • 19 Adams Lane - Log house, former Day Break Nursery School (1930s to 1968) - 1918
  • Silvermine Golf Course - Red Dairy Barn and Silo
  • Golf Course Pyramid built by Silvermine Guild members
  • 17 James Street - Antique House - 1913
  • 19 James Street - Antique House - 1910
  • 21 James Street - Antique House - 1920
  • 23 James Street - Antique House - 1880
  • 25 James Street - Victorian - 1884